Lion at a Glance
Domestically, in the Consumer Products Business, sales of oral care products, pharmaceuticals and new products were strong. Overseas, sales were steady in Lion's mainstay countries, including Thailand and Malaysia in Southeast Asia and South Korea and China in Northeast Asia.
As a result, overall sales grew 4.5% year on year to an all-time record high.
Profitability improved thanks to expansion in high-value-added products and the streamlining of competition-related expenses in Japan as well as strong performance in the personal care field overseas. Reflecting these factors and such external environmental changes as a drop in raw materials costs, operating income grew 49.6% year on year.
Operating income ratio
2017 Financial Forecasts
Sales in the Consumer Products Business are forecast to grow 1.0% year on year, and sales in the Overseas Business are expected to rise 6.8%. Overall net sales are forecast to grow 2.4% year on year to ¥405 billion.
Lion aims for continued double-digit growth and to set a new record high for a fourth consecutive year. Overall operating income is expected to increase 10.2% year on year to ¥27 billion.
- High-value-added products, such as toothpastes and toothbrushes in the oral care field and antipyretic analgesics and eye drops in the pharmaceutical products field, saw strong sales. Furthermore, TOP SUPER NANOX super-concentrated liquid laundry detergent, hadakara body wash and other new products received favorable consumer reviews, contributing to segment performance.
- Year on year, net sales rose 5.0% and operating income jumped 57.0%.
- The consolidation of the chemicals business in the latter half of 2015 led to a decrease in sales, but Lion worked to increase profitability by expanding sales of high-value-added products and streamlining costs.
- Year on year, net sales decreased 3.2%, but operating income rose 58.9%.
- Performance in Thailand, Malaysia, South Korea, China and Lion's other mainstay countries was strong, as was performance in the oral care and beauty care fields. In addition, profitability increased.
- Year on year, net sales rose 8.7%, and operating income climbed 53.0%.