The effects of toothpaste are not limited to effectively removing plaque. Some types of toothpaste include fluorine, which is effective in preventing caries, or other active ingredients that prevent periodontal disease. It is also effective for removing stains (discoloration of the teeth) and preventing bad breath.
- Toothpaste is effective not only for removing plaque, but also for preventing caries, periodontal disease and bad breath.
- Get to know the effects of toothpaste, and choose a type of toothpaste that suits your purposes.
Effects of Toothpaste
Toothpaste has various effects for maintaining dental and oral health. In order to choose a type of toothpaste that suits your purposes, get to know the effects of toothpaste first.
Basic Effects of Toothpaste
- Effectively removes plaque
- Although toothpaste has come to possess various abilities, its basic function is to remove plaque.
- Prevents plaque from accumulating on the teeth
When brushing teeth using toothpaste, the amount of plaque that accumulates on teeth after 24 hours is 1/3 or less than that in the case where no toothpaste is used.
Accumulated Amount of Plaque and Toothpaste
Source: report by Davis, W.B
- Removes stains (discoloration of the teeth)
- Toothpaste removes stains (discoloration of the teeth) caused by pigments contained in food and drinks or tar contained in cigarettes, and helps teeth to maintain their original color.
- Eliminates and prevents bad breath
- By cleaning your mouth using toothpaste, you can effectively eliminate and prevent bad breath.
“Comparison of plaque removal levels after brushing teeth with and without toothpaste”
Subjects were divided into two groups; those brushing with and without toothpaste. Then, the plaque removal efficiency was investigated after 10, 20, and 30 toothbrush strokes, respectively.
Plaque removal efficiency was significantly higher for those in the group with toothpaste, than it was for those in the group without toothpaste after each case of 10, 20 and 30 toothbrush strokes. In other words, it was clarified that plaque is removed more effectively when toothpaste is used.
By selecting and using toothpaste with medicinal effects that suit your symptoms or purposes, it will be more effective in protecting the health of your teeth and mouth.
Differences in Plaque Removal Efficiency between Groups Using or Not Using Toothpaste