Lion at a Glance
Domestically, in the Consumer Products Business, sales of oral care and beauty care products were strong. Overseas, sales were firm in Lion’s mainstay markets, including Thailand and Malaysia in Southeast Asia and South Korea and China in Northeast Asia.
As a result, overall sales grew 3.8% year on year.
Despite a rise in raw material prices, in Japan high-value-added products expanded and the streamlining of competition-related expenses continued. Overseas, sales of personal care products remained steady. Operating income grew 11.0% year on year, reaching a record high for the fourth consecutive year.
Operating income ratio
- In the oral care field, new products, such as CLINICA Kid’s Toothbrushes and NONIO Mouthwash, received favorable consumer reviews. Furthermore, high-value-added products, such as body washes in the beauty care field and antipyretic analgesics in the pharmaceutical products field, saw strong sales.
- Year on year, net sales rose 1.3% and operating income grew 19.7%.
- Lion worked to expand business by increasing sales of such high-value-added products as anti-sticking agents for tires and creating a new business for vegetable washing systems. However, income decreased due in part to rising raw material prices.
- Year on year, net sales increased 2.6%, but operating income decreased 9.5%.
- Sales in Thailand, Malaysia, South Korea, China and Lion’s other mainstay markets was strong. However, operating income decreased due in part to increases in raw material prices and competition-related costs aimed at improving market position.
- Year on year, net sales rose 8.3%, but operating income fell 3.3%.
2018 Financial Forecasts
Domestically, Lion will work to enter peripheral areas of especially the oral care field. Overseas, Lion strives to reinforce its e-commerce business, improve its market position and expand its business scale. Overall net sales are forecast to grow 3.5% year on year to ¥355 billion.
Lion will continue working to reinforce its profitability by expanding sales of high-value-added products. Overall operating income is expected to increase 8.3% year on year to ¥33 billion.